Skip to main content Skip to footer

Benefits Advice

A hospital stay could affect your benefits allowance.  Follow these links for information and advice on how you can manage your benefits:

This is a voluntary organisation providing information and support to anyone in North Staffordshire with a disability. They offer a free, impartial and confidential service, providing information, advice and support. Issues that they deal with include:

Disability and other welfare benefits & rights.

Discrimination, housing problems, access, transport and travel, leisure activities and holidays, education and employment, rehabilitation and training, voluntary organisations and their work, local welfare services, legislation, reports and other literature, radar toilet keys.

The service operates as a telephone helpline, and aims to ensure that people with cancer, their families and carers are aware of all the services and help that may be available to meet their needs.

Contact details: North Staffordshire Medical Institute, Harsthill Road, Hartshill, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire ST4 7NY​

Telephone 01782 638300

Website (Currently being updated)


If you have complex issues involving debt, employment rights or housing, contact should be made with your local CAB. The CAB is an independent body and a registered charity offering free, confidential, independent and impartial advice on a wide range of issues. Advice and help is given by trained advisers on housing, welfare benefits, employment issues, debt, tax, family and personal matters, legal problems, immigration, nationality and consumer rights.



The Department of Work and Pensions is linked with Jobcentres Plus. If you are on benefits at some point you may receive a standard letter from Jobcentres Plus inviting you for a "work focussed interview". The interview process is a supportive process. If you are receiving benefits but are too unwell to attend for the interview this can be deferred until you are well.  


Stoke-on-Trent city council provides a range of services to help and support people to manage at home and also provide leaflets about additional services including:

Home care

Carer support

Help when you leave hospital

Residential or nursing home care and financial contributions involved

Telephone 01782 235985 (Adult Social Care Headquarters)


This department provides a range of services to help people manage at home and also provide leaflets about additional services including:

  • Getting help with meals
  • Leaving hospital
  • Finding help if you are a carer

Choosing a residential or nursing home and financial contributions involved.

Telephone 01785 223121 (County Council central switch board)


Age Concern North Staffordshire, 83-85 Trinity Street, Hanley, Stoke on Trent, ST1 5NA. Telephone 01782 286209


If you are a Carer and would like some information about the support available to you, or if you are likely to become a Carer in the near future and would like to discuss the implications and issues, contact the Carers Association at North Staffs Carers Association, Carers Centre, 1 Duke Street, Fenton, Stoke on Trent, ST4 3NR

01782 793100


Telephone 01782 834836 (answerphone out of hours)


This service has offices throughout Staffordshire. Find out more  at