The nurse bank is made up of over 500 staff who provide temporary cover as a result of staff shortages or short term unfilled vacancies. If you work on the nurse and midwifery bank, you tell us when you are available to work and your availability is then matched with shift requirements across the hospital.
- Gain experience in a variety of specialties
- Work shifts which fit in with your personal circumstances
- If you work in an area where there is a vacancy, we may be able to move you into a post, enabling you to try it before you apply
- If you are an experienced specialist nurse and only want to work in a specific specialty, we may be in a position to accommodate this within the Emergency Care department, Theatres, Intensive Care and/or Renal Unit.
- Some people join the nurse bank to keep their skills up to date if they are working in the private sector or non-acute area. Student nurses also work on the nurse bank as nursing assistants. This helps them to gain numerous skills and experience working in all specialties, which in turn helps with their training and income.
- NMC Registration plus 6 months post registration experience desirable delivering care within a hospital or private sector
- HPC Registration (ODPs) plus six months experience working in a theatre/recovery environment
Applicants for the post of nursing assistant must have a minimum of six months experience working in a care environment. However, we can provide supernumerary positions for suitable applicants, where staff can learn on the job. We provide a very reliable service to the Trust with caring, skilled and experienced staff. Training to develop these skills will be provided at the onset.
We expect that applicants have excellent communication skills, both oral and written, are reliable, highly motivated, can use their own initiative, good team workers and keen to provide high standards of care to our patients.
- Induction training (mandatory)
- Continuous personal development with the prospect of attending any Trust training courses and conferences
- NHS Pension Scheme
- A wide variety of staff discounts only available to UHNM staff
Employees working for the nurse bank or on a Trust temporary contract may have the opportunity to transfer into a permanent post should a suitable vacancy be identified.