Skip to the content

Where for Care?

The Winter months can be challenging for the NHS, especially for urgent care services. Where for Care puts an emphasis on people taking responsibility for themselves and their loved ones to stay healthy and manage their own health.

Today's NHS offers a wide range of services for people with illnesses or injuries that are new or have suddenly become a lot worse (acute health problems). Depending on the nature and severity of the problem, there are often good alternatives to a visit to the emergency department (A&E) which helps keep our A&E for the real emergencies. 

For more information to help you and your family make the right choice for care please see the alternatives below:

Alterna​​tives to A&E

This is the best choice to treat very minor illn​esses, ailments and injuries. A range of common illnesses and complaints can be treated with a well-stocked medicine cabinet and plenty of rest.

For urgent medical help call NHS 111 to book an Emergency Department time slot

Your NHS is providing a new and more convenient way for you to access urgent care at Royal Stoke Unviersity Hospital and County Hospital, Stafford. 

If you need medical help and it is not a life-threatening emergency, call 111 as they can book you a time slot at the Emergency Department if you need one. 

Your advisor can also direct you to a more appropriate NHS service depending on your needs, such as: 

  • Your GP practice
  • A local pharmacy
  • Haywood Hospital Walk-in Centre
  • An Urgent Care Centre

Calling 111 first will help us to maintain social distancing and ensure that you receive the right care in the right place, in a more timely way. 

If you or someone you know is experiencing a medical emergency, you can still attend the Emergency Department or call 999. 

If you have a minor injury

If you have a minor injury or illness, you will be redirected to Haywood Hospital from the Royal Stoke University Hospital. 

Minor injuries units can help with a number of conditions including:

  • Cuts and grazes, infected wounds
  • Broken bones or fractures, sprains and strains
  • Bites and stings
  • Minor head injuries
  • Minor eye problems

If you have a minor illness

Phone your GP practice or go to a local high street or supermarket pharmacy and seek advice there. Or if you are not sure, contact NHS 111

Help keep our A&E for the real emergencies

Our Emergency Department remains open but it is for serious and life threatening conditions. If you or someone you know is experiencing a medical emergency you/they can still attend our ED or alternatively please dial 999.

Medical emergencies can include:

Also call 999 if you think someone has had a major trauma, such as after a serious road traffic accident, a stabbing, a shooting, a fall from height, or a serious head injury.


If you have symptoms of COVID-19 (a high temperature; a new, continuous cough; or loss or change to your sense of smell or taste), please do not attend the Emergency Department or any of these other services. Check what to do here.

You can speak to any pharmacist for advice on how to treat lots of minor injuries and common complaints such as coughs, colds, bites, stings, aches and pains.

For medical advice or for illnesses you can't shake off. You should be able to get an appointment with your surgery within 24 hours, Monday to Friday. If your doctors are closed call your doctor's surgery and you will be transferred to the GP out of Hours Service

Walk-in centres can be used to treat minor injuries and ailments. The nearest walk-in centres are:

Haywood Walk-In Centre: Open 7am-10pm Monday to Friday & 9am-10pm weekends and bank holidays. Tel: 01782 673500.
Leek Moorlands Hospital: Open between 8am and 8pm daily. Tel: 0300 123 1894

Cannock Chase Hospital: 10.30am to 6.30pm Seven days a week  . Tel: 01543 572757,
Sir Robert Peel Community Hospital: Open from 8am until 10pm daily. Tel: 01827 263800
Samuel Johnson Community Hospital: Open from 8am until 9pm daily. Tel: 01543 412900​

Back to top of page