Endoscopy at UHNM
Endoscopy Units UHNM
The endoscopy service is based across two sites: Royal Stoke University Hospital and County Hospital. Our endoscopy service cares for patients throughout Staffordshire and the surrounding areas.
Royal Stoke University Hospital is a state-of-the-art endoscopy unit, opened in 2012 and comprising six endoscopy rooms. It delivers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures which include ERCP, EUS, EMR, colonoscopy, OGD, GI Physiology and a bronchoscopy service.
The Royal Stoke University Hospital is JAG accredited and a Bowel Cancer Screening Centre, which includes the Bowel Scope service. We are also providers of specialised training and education for medical and nursing staff. We are fortunate in that we have our own accredited training centre within the unit delivering National and International training courses.
The department comprises a dedicated team including Endoscopists, Nurses, Healthcare Assistants, GI Physiologists and admin teams, including reception and appointment clerks, who all work together to ensure that our patients receive gold standard care.
It would be fair to say that Endoscopy’s future is bright, we are now the third busiest Endoscopy Unit in Europe that provide a wide range of procedures however we never rest on our laurels and are always looking at new initiatives/ ways of delivering the best possible service for our patients.
Below are a few examples that we hope will move our service forward over the next 12 months:
- Worldwide Symposiums planned for 2021
- ESD procedures – historically performed in theatre setting
- Artificial Intelligence equipment – Earlier diagnosis for all patients
- Continual training given to all staff members on a weekly basis to ensure that their development is on-going.
- Home-grown Staff – these staff members are ingrained in our culture which will ensure that we continue to strive for excellence in everything that we do.
It would be fair to say that Endoscopy’s future is bright, we are now the third busiest Endoscopy Unit in Europe