NHS advice on World Cup fever, illness and injury

England's finest are gearing up for World Cup 2018. The A&E teams at County Hospital and Royal Stoke (who else did you think we were talking about?) are preparing for a busy five weeks. Rather than taking on Panama, Tunisia and Belgium in Russia, the team will be tackling an increased number of patients with alcohol related illnesses and injuries. With this in mind clinicians are asking fans to enjoy the World Cup responsibly.

Dr Ann Marie Morris, Clinical Director of Emergency Medicine, said: "Every two years when there is a big football tournament we see an increase in the number of alcohol related illnesses and injuries. The warm weather can lead to people becoming dehydrated and drinking more than they realise. Alternating alcoholic and soft drinks is a good way to help prevent this and any subsequent injuries. A&E is also probably one of the very few places in the country where you can't watch the games, so our advice is to avoid needing urgent or emergency care in the first place."

A&E usually expects to see around 350-400 patients per day, however, this can significantly increase to more than 400 patients per day during big football tournaments.

Dr Morris said: "If you or a friend does need urgent care, you can help by seeking the right NHS services. This could include managing minor illness or injury at home, or using your GP practice, local pharmacy or ​dentist. We need to ensure our A&E Departments are available for those who really need them, those with life threatening illnesses or injuries that need urgent medical attention."

The public can find out more on how to keep well and where to get expert advice at http://www.nhs.uk/staywell/

Alternative NHS services to A&E:

  • PHARMACY: Your pharmacy can provide confidential, expert advice and treatment for a range of common illnesses and complaints, without having to wait for a GP appointment.


  • NHS 111: This service has been introduced to make it easier for you to access local NHS healthcare services in England. NHS 111 is a fast and easy way to get the right help, whatever the time. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free.


  • YOUR GP: For medical advice or for illnesses you can't shake off. You should be able to get an appointment with your surgery within 24 hours, Monday to Friday. If your doctors are closed call your doctor's surgery and you will be transferred to the GP out of Hours Service


  • WALK-IN CENTRES: Walk-in centres can be used to treat minor injuries and ailments. The nearest walk-in centres are:


  • ACCIDENT & EMERGENCY: A&E and the 999 ambulance service should only be used in a critical or life-threatening situation. The Emergency Centre at the City General is located off Hilton Road and the A34, just south of Newcastle-under-Lyme. Attend A&E for anything classed as an emergency including choking, chest pain, loss of consciousness, severe blood loss, broken bones, difficulty breathing, deep wounds or a suspected stroke.