The clinical services section of the Pharmacy Directorate provides a ward and dispensary-based clinical pharmacy and medicines-management service. The service is delivered by registered Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians who will:
During your stay in hospital, the Pharmacy team will ensure that you have a sufficient supply of medication for your hospital stay and at least two weeks supply to take home.
- Check your medication history and ask you if you have any allergies
- Talk to you about all of your medicines
- Give you access to written information about your medicines. (This will normally take the form of a product patient information leaflet which is supplied with every product)
- Give you the opportunity to ask questions about your medicines, for example any potential side effects.
The Pharmacy team works to ensure that:
- Your prescribed medication is as safe and effective as possible.
- Any medicines that you were taking before you came into hospital which are to continue are prescribed
- All medicines are prescribed correctly and safely on your hospital prescription chart
- All of your medicines are kept securely in your bedside medicines locker